Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Centennial Anniversary Bike Ride

In February 2010 I received a copy of a book manuscript that a relative had written.  It recounted their journey from St. Louis, Missouri to the panhandle of Oklahoma starting in the year 1911. They left for health reasons and were going to a drier climate - California. Along the way they gave concerts and took pictures that were made into postcards. Also, they were not in any hurry to make it to California, they wanted to enjoy the journey.

It was fun reading about their adventures and struggles along the way. I also enjoyed learning historical facts about that time period. Plus it gave me insight to my past history. My grandmother, at age 2, was the youngest member of this traveling party.

When I finished reading the manuscript I had a very strange thought that I couldn't get out of my head. I realized that this September 4, 2011, would be the 100th anniversary of their leaving St. Louis. I found it very ironic that I now lived in the area that they left from, that I had an account of their journey that told the towns they went through, and that this big anniversary was coming up. I wondered how I could celebrate this centennial anniversary. The thought that wouldn't leave my mind was that Clay and I could ride the same route they took, on our tandem bicycle. (Wasn't that nice of me to include Clay?)

On September 4, 2011 we will leave St. Louis, starting at my great great grandmother's grave, and end in Kansas City (approximately 300 miles) where they spent the winter of 1911. In 2012 we will continue the journey as they did in 1912, and go to the panhandle of Oklahoma, where they eventually settled (they never made it to California). See the tabs at the top of the page for the routes we will take. Going along with us will be Tom and Susan Weaver, my sister and her husband. They will be switching back and forth between driving a support vehicle and riding a bicycle.

Maybe some day my great great child will read this blog and learn something about their history.

No comments:

Post a Comment