Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Hills are Alive With the Sounds of Grunting

Day 4
Moberly, Missouri to Marshall, Missouri
65 miles


Oh my goodness, the mornings have been so cold!  But I am not complaining because once it starts to warm up the days have been beautiful for riding.   Before leaving Moberly this morning, we wanted to make a stop at the old train depot.  When my relatives came through Moberly in 1911, they picked up my great, great grandfather here after he was delayed in St Louis for business. 


Our route today was going to be very hilly and over 60 miles long.  For me, this was going to be one of the most difficult days.  I knew that the hills were going to be challenging.  Then on top of that to have a long riding day, I knew that it would take all that I had to complete this day.  One thing that helped today, was that we had the wind at our backs for part of the day.  We met Susan in Glasgow, Misssouri for lunch.  We had ridden 35 miles at this point and were ready to eat.  Glasgow sits on the Missouri river and it is quite scenic.  There is a small park right on the river where we rested for awhile.  We found the old ferry crossing where our relatives would have crossed the river.


The second part of our day began with crossing the Missouri river and then climbing out of the river valley.  As much as I was anticipating the hills, I think Clay and I handled them very well.  Clay kept saying "Why is every road in Missouri uphill?"  We were really glad though to reach our destination of Marshall, Missouri.  I think this is going to be another hot tub night.  Marshall, Missouri has a very pretty town square and a gorgeous courthouse, picture included.


One interesting thing that happened this evening. On the way home from supper I found a wallet in the middle of an intersection. Clay took it to the police station to turn it in and they took his license and ran a check on him and they wanted to know where he lived and what he was doing in this area.  After Clay passed all the inspections and answered all their questions, they did thank him for turning it in.  That just goes to show you, that no good deed goes unpunished! 

No comments:

Post a Comment